13-14 weeks old
- Your baby is learning all the time - by making sounds or playing with hands or feet, your baby's brain will be busy building vital connections
- When you are sitting down, hold your baby under the arms facing you and gently bounce the baby up and down. This gives the sensation of taking their own weight.
Babies of this age...
- Discover their hands and play with them and suck them (and suck anything else they happen to get hold of)
- When held in a sitting position, they can hold their heads up and the upper back is almost straight
- Make more and more noises
- Laugh out loud
- Will start to reach for toys (keep an eye on your baby to make sure they don’t put anything in their mouth they shouldn’t)
- Are likely to be sleeping around 14-15 hours in 24 - including 2-3 daytime naps
- Until they are about 4 months old, babies' brains (and heads) continue to grow in size
Are you eating healthily?
As a mum, you are always on the go, but try to make some time for yourself and concentrate on keeping well and healthy. You can help to do this by making sure you get enough rest and by eating properly.
Magazines and books are full of ideas for quick, healthy meals and you can learn a lot about food and health from them. Try to include lots of fresh fruit and vegetables in your diet.
Think about the value of organic foods, too, especially if you are breastfeeding. Organic foods have to meet strict regulations - no artificial additives, or processing chemicals. They're made from naturally good ingredients grown without harmful chemical pesticides, nitrates, growth hormones or other unwanted extras. Best of all, they taste good. Find out more about organic foods here.
Keep a record of your baby's development
Your baby is growing and changing every day so make sure you record important milestones in your Baby's First Year Record Book. You can also swap stories with other mums on our Facebook page.
HiPP's Expert Baby & Nutrition Blog
Read the latest advice from our team of experts
Posted by 28.10.2016
When the very first advance samples of our new free-from baby care products showed up at the HiPP offices, they caused an audible buzz of excitement... one look, and we were pretty sure we had a hit...
Read more »