Did you know that 10 to 20 minutes of tummy time a day can be a good thing for your baby? By enjoying some tummy time, your little one will find it easier to learn to roll over, sit up and start to crawl.
Some tips to help your baby enjoy tummy time:
- Start with shorter periods of tummy time - maybe even two or three minutes a day
- Lay on your back and lay your baby down on her tummy on your chest
- Lay baby on a tummy time play mat with some age appropriate toys to play with, especially once she has some upper body strength to actually reach for and play with them
- Prop her chest up with a pillow
- Get down on the floor with your baby and talk or sing to her
Important points to remember about tummy time:
Tummy time is just for when your baby is awake, and you should always put your little one to sleep on their back to reduce the risk of SIDS.
Tummy time can start when your baby is about two months old and is able to lift their head. Before that, it is okay to put your baby down on their tummy while they are awake and being supervised. If your baby isn't lifting and moving their head much, then it's advisable to leave tummy time for a few more weeks.